I wish We're Related would ...

Please get gedcom uploads working again. (Nov 2008)

For the past (I believe) 2 weeks I've been getting this message when I try to upload a GEDCOM:

"We appreciate all the feedback we've recieved from the community on our GEDCOM uploads. Our engineers are actively working to bring GEDCOM uploads to the new version of our app. In the next week, and as soon as uploading is working flawlessly, we will reactivate this feature."

207 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Keith TarrantKeith Tarrant shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    started  ·  JulieAdminJulie (Admin, We're Related) responded  · 

We got rid of the message. We also got rid of the whole GEDCOM tab. We know it’s been a long time but we want it working perfectly when we finally put it up for you.

12 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Antonia ChiaricoAntonia Chiarico commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So, what IS the expected completion date? As you are undoubtedly aware, a smoothly working gedcom upload feature would go a long way toward making the We're Related application worthwhile.

• Bob BaulchBob Baulch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have over 3000 names in my family tree, some going back over 1000 years! Please get this feature fixed! This message posted May 19, 2009

• MaureenMaureen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How many people are working on this? Put a chimp in front of a keyboard and they'll fix this problem quicker. On top of everything else, the browser now crashes when I click My Tree.

• jordanjonesjordanjones commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I got an e-mail saying this would be fixed on Friday (Jan. 30th). I'm in software development, so I know that things happen, new bugs are found, and so on. Is there a revised ETA for this application? I know that a lot of my family will be more interested in participating if they can see a summary of my research on Facebook.

• stevevawterstevevawter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is STILL broken and the applet still says it will be fixed "next week"!

I have a GEDCOM with 1,300 people spanning both of my parents families and both of my wive's parent's families for more than 12 generations total! No WAY am I typing that in!

• topographicoceanstopographicoceans commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree! This is poor customer service. I have checked the functionality for uploading a GED file almost every day. Please make this a priority to repair this feature.

• George.DishmanGeorge.Dishman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Your research needn't be wasted, you can upload the gedcom into other apps like "OneFamilyTree" or "FamilyTree".

• Nonoy5Nonoy5 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. Either update your message about the planned Upload fix or actually fix the problem. This is ridiculous for a company to leave this message that we all know is outdate to be posted like that.

• jpvanwagjpvanwag commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The message says "In the next week" but I've been waiting nearly a month. I just wish I had been warned that this functionality didn't work before I spent all the time doing the research.

Feedback and Knowledge Base