I wish We're Related would ...

Connect family trees with others when they match

You could find new relatives, or learn about other relatives that you did not know because of this. Its like many people working on one family tree, and filling in things you never knew about your family!!

1,337 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    anonymousanonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    planned  ·  We're RelatedAdminWe're Related (Admin, We're Related) responded  · 

Hello everyone!! Thanks for letting us know about your desire to connect trees. This is a very very difficult problem to solve when dealing to merging trees. That being said, we are looking into it. This may take 3 months or more! Thanks for your votes!

36 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • joyce jacksonjoyce jackson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

you send the page for me to select my relationship to certain people that is on my list of friend and family. and everytime i receive this i attempt to add what relationship we are and it is not allowing me to do so. this has being going on for months. it will not accept my choices or clicks. it doesnt take.

• Andy MayburyAndy Maybury commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If the options are limited to:
        father
        mother
        son
        daughter
        husband
        wife
        the whole linking trees issue becomes more straightforward as those are simple one-to-one relationships.

Problems also come when others enter erroneous data and there needs to be a way of alerting them to that by sending suggested corrections or whatever.

Good luck with the developments.

• Larry Steven MurphyLarry Steven Murphy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have genealogocal records all over the place and this application takes a long time and requires a lot of intuitive thinking. Merging family trees might help but manual entry is often needed because we cannot trust everyone!

• Brandi KnoxBrandi Knox commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would love to be able to create my family tree; then allow my husband and daughter to just click a button to link their self to my tree and have all of my family tree transfered directly into their family tree.

• Bo BeckhamBo Beckham commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adding Facebook friends and adding We're Related relatives is already so similar and connected since it makes suggestions both ways, would merging trees not follow generally the same guidelines: "So-n-so would like to merge trees with you do you want to share your tree with So-n-so?"
        Also, would it be difficult to make friend and family suggestions based upon entries on the family tree? I.e. I am friends and related to several third cousins, but not their parents, my second cousins; and vice versa.

• Terry PughTerry Pugh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

be very careful how you word it when you allow the merge.

I will want to see as much information about all potential merges as possible.

I will want to be able to say yes or no to someone wanting to merge with my tree. (There are sometimes family issues that won't be resolved until hte feuding generations die away).

I will want to be able to hide certain members (such as that ex that fathered the kids - but I want THEM to be able to find him when and if they are interested)

I will want to be able to display alternate facts (such as how the name is spelled) and choose which I want to display as primary.

Who will have the option of deciding what editing will be done in the merged tree?

And don't forget sources and choices of sources (maybe even marking if they are primary, secondary, or other - with explanation)

• Eleiren BowenEleiren Bowen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The only way I can see that it *might* be a problem is in the case of children from multiple marriages. My mother has children from 3 marriages. It might look a bit amusing (or offensive, depending) to see my mother listed with three husbands on my tree. So watch for that, and my apologies for the complexity of family relationships these days. I don't envy you the job, but I love what you're doing. My kids finally know their cousins... most of whom they've never met, and all of the younger kids are screaming family reunion time. All because of the family tree app.

Nicely done. Nicely done indeed.

• Eleiren BowenEleiren Bowen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just spent about an hour playing with this thing again this morning.

I wish I could see the code behind these trees because I think I see where to start the linking.

There is, when adding people on facebook to your tree, the option to link to their profile to their place on your tree.

Why not just have the app pull that person's tree and automatically add in any *missing* fields?

For example:

I add my brother.
        I link to his facebook page.
        I've identified this is my brother and I want to connect to his profile.
        My brother also uses this application.
        The application adds in his wife, her parents and siblings, but not the other siblings my brother and I share, or our parents because I have those already.

It shouldn't be any more difficult than having the family feed set up and will probably use a very similar looking query to pull the information.

Just remember, if (relationship position) shows data, then do not add, else add data. ;)

• Dara RobinsonDara Robinson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Interesting, the Admin says it should take 3 moths or more. But this suggestion was posted 10 months or more ago. I wonder how much longer it will take lol

• Robert ModrallRobert Modrall commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There should also be fields for marriage dates and perhaps some sort of general archive for each individual where you could place interesting facts or photos.

• Robert ModrallRobert Modrall commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Tree merging would be great. If there is a descrepancy it should be highlighted in another color pending documented evidence.

• Andy MayburyAndy Maybury commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you link this issue with the drop-down selection of relationships, it becomes easy. See my other post on drop-down

• teresawiendeuelteresawiendeuel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Without this feature of linking to my husbands tree it's to say the least labor intensive to rewrite. is it not better to link then to have to maintain duplicates?

• susannihgcharthaighsusannihgcharthaigh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Instead of only the option of merging trees, how about a selection. e.g.
        1. link tree at selected point but do not merge
        2. merge tree for my site only
        3. add unlisted people from their tree into my "are you related" area
        4. ghost the merge
        5. ghost the merge and allow me to ok or reject each ghost.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base